“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Monday, December 24, 2012

Ricciarelli- almond biscuits

I could not help myself- I just had to make these! It is 12:30pm on Christmas Eve and I have just been invited to spend Christmas lunch tomorrow with a friends family- who insisted I must spend my day with a family! I have also spent many Sunday's with this particular family and not only do I love their company but the Mother, Franca is a wonderful cook.
On my last visit these biscuits were presented with coffee. It is a traditional almond base biscuit originating from Siena, Tuscany and dating back to the 14th century. You will find these biscuits in every household throughout Tuscany at Christmas time. I thought it be fitting to make them and bring with me tomorrow.
However the traditional method takes almost two days to make, this is a more condensed version given the short notice I had. The result is delicious, a crispy crust with a gooey inner. Traditionally drunk with a sweet wine Vin Santo or Moscadello di Montalcino.  
what you need:
250 g of sweet almonds
300 g caster sugar
one tablespoon of honey
peel of one lemon
one egg white
icing sugar for dusting


how to make:
1: Finely blend the almonds in a food processor. Place in a large bowl, add the sugar.
2: Add the honey, grated lemon peel
3: Whisk the egg white and add to almond mixture
4: Roll out on a lightly sugared bench and use your hand to form a long log
5: Cut the log into roughly 2cm sections and place on a oven try lined with baking paper. The shapes should slightly be diamond shape, use your hands to mould
6: Place in a pre-heated 140 degrees oven for 15 minuets, taking care that the biscuits do not colour but retain a soft white colour
7: Remove and allow to cool. Once cooled sprinkle with icing sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment