“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Monday, July 9, 2012

Spaghetti aglio olio e peperoncino (spaghetti with oil & chillies)

Who does not like spaghetti? I love it, and I pretty much like it any which way. When spaghetti is good is it heavenly good but when it is bad it is unpalatable. This recipe is super easy to make, you can almost make it with your eyes closed.  I am sure you have all of the ingredients in your pantry. All that is required is that the spaghetti is cooked to perfection (al dente), that a good quality oil is used and the pasta is well coated in it. When pasta is cooked 'al dente' it is much better for digestion and has a lower GI. Just because there are only a few ingredients does not mean this dish is lacking in flavour.  Even better, there is only one pot to clean- perfect for a mid week whip up!
What you need:
one 500g packet of spaghetti (I used number 4)
two small red chilies
2-3 cloves of garlic
100 mls extra virgin olive oil
hand-ful fresh flat leaf parsley leaves 
salt and pepper
How to make:
1: Place the spaghetti in a large pot of well salted boiling water.  Follow the instructions on packet regarding the amount of time the spaghetti needs to cook (8-12 minutes).  Remove the spaghetti when it is 'al dente'- soft to touch but still firm to bite.
2: Strain the spaghetti, set to one side.
3: Quickly add the oil, garlic and chilli to the same pot and heat through (use a spoon to mush the garlic and chilli, infusing the flavours with the oil)
4: Add the spaghetti back to the pot and stir through. Lightly salt if needed and cracked pepper.  Add some fresh torn parsley leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment