“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pizza di cipolle e tonno (onion and tuna pizza)

There are many unwritten 'food rules' in Italy!  For instance when a foreigner asks for parmesan cheese to add to 'spaghetti alla marinara' (seafood spaghetti), Italian's will chime NOOOOOOOOOO!!! Seafood and cheese do not mix.  Which is why I too am confused in this instance why it is acceptable to mix the two forbidden ingredients together.  Regardless of 'the rule' this pizza is readily available across the great land and is really one of my favourites.  When I was cooking for fifteen hungry mouths in Italy, this pizza was requested on a weekly basis. 
 What you need:
Ingredients from pizza dough recipe
185g tin of Italian style tuna in oil
one cup of Italian tomato passata (tomato puree)
1/2 red onion
one ball of fresh mozzarella 
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil roughly
salt and cracked black pepper
How to make:
1: Make the pizza dough following my 'pizza dough' recipe 
2: Generously oil a baking pan, and line with pizza dough
3: Use the back of a spoon to smooth a thin layer of tomato puree on the pizza dough (if you do not have passata, use a stick blender to blitz a tin of Italian tomatoes)
4: Drizzle a little olive oil, then add salt and pepper
5: Evenly apply the thinly sliced red onions, then break up the tuna and add
6: Place the pizza in a pre-heated 200 degrees oven for approximately twenty minutes
7: Remove the pizza about 2-3 minutes before it is cooked and add the fresh mozzarella (either cut into circular slices or tear apart)
8: Place the pizza with the added mozzarella back in the oven until the cheese is just melted..not browned!
9: Pour over a little garlic oil if desired!!
delicious fresh mozzarella balls


2 comments:

  1. Great post! I miss this pizza. What you forgot to add in your description is that you are a master ingredient arranger! Each bite was always perfectly composed. Mine could never taste as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dear Marybeth, thank-you for the compliment. Maybe I should have mentioned in the recipe that when adding the ingredients to the pizza you should visualise every square inch as a mouthful. It needs to incorporate all of the ingredients equally. I think this is important and maybe a skill I take for granted? I am missing your onion 'calzone'!

    ReplyDelete