“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Olivata (Olive paste)


The French say tapenade, the Italian's call it Olivata.  Call it what you will, either which way it is so easy to make and so yummy to eat.  This is typically served during 'apertivo' time in Tuscany and is the perfect snack with a nice glass of Chianti wine.  It is also common to order a plate of "crostini misti" (mixed crusty bread) and for Olivata to be one of the toppings.  Once bottled top with some good quality Italian extra virgin olive oil and keep in a dark space to preserve the life of the olivata.  
What you need:
One kilo of oil-cured olives
1/2 cup of Italian extra virgin olive oil
Two gloves of garlic
One sprig of rosemary
Salt to taste
How to make:
1: Simply place the olives, rosemary, garlic and salt in a mixer and gradually add the olive oil
2: Blend until you get the desired consistency
3: Place in sterilized glass jars and top each jar with olive oil
4: Serve with warm crusty bread

Buon Apetito

1 comment:

  1. I made this today!!!

    Both the one Kara made and the one that I made today, need some time to sit. It's much better after 2 days when the garlic has lost some of its bitterness, and all of the flavors meld together.

    It's really nice to have though, as I put it on bread with stracchino or with tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete