“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Torta di Ciliegie (cherry cake)

I find it so therapeutic preparing food. So sitting down de-pitting   cherries without a cherry pitter provided me with great pleasure. It is a time when you have to slow down from the demands of a busy life and simply get back to basics.  I normally play some back ground music and just think about the job at hand.  In this case, a delicious cherry cake.  I was so excited when I removed this perfectly cooked cake from the oven.  The house was filled with a heavenly aroma as it baked away, and the anticipation was high.  This cake is not a traditional Italian cake as such, but hosts Italian traits.  It is quite dense with a crispy crust and not too sweet.  The almond meal gives it a nutty flavour and the maraschino adds an adult twist.  This cake is so easy to make as all of the ingredients are prepared in one bowl.  Follow with a shot of maraschino liquor!
What you need:
500 grams of cherries
200 grams flour 00
200 grams of sugar
200 grams of almond meal
160 g of butter
four eggs
four tablespoons of maraschino liquor
two teaspoons of baking powder
pinch of salt

How to make:
1: In a large bowl mix together sugar and butter until creamed.
2: Add almond meal to the bowl and mix.  Then add one egg at a time until mixed thoroughly.
3: Sift flour and baking powder to the almond meal mixture. Then stir in the liquor and pinch of salt.
4: Place batter in a paper lined 18/20 cm spring form tin
5: Push cleaned and pitted fresh cherries in a circular pattern in the top of cake batter.
6: Place in a pre-heated 180 degree oven for 45-55 minutes until cooked through.  Test with a skewer.


No comments:

Post a Comment