“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Friday, July 20, 2012

Torrone Siciliano (Sicilian nougat- without nougat)

Eating this crunchy golden confection brings back great feelings of nostalgia. Trying to wait for it to cool as it was removed from the oven. Knowing that it was scolding hot but willing to take the risk. There are only a few ingredients needed to make this, and it is so easy. I love making it in large batches and giving as gifts. Or storing in glass jars for any unsuspecting guests- if it lasts.
There are two regions in Italy that Torrone is historically from, Lomardy and Campania. Torrone is traditionally made at Christmas time, "it is a sweet that should never fail our Christmas tables". It is generally made from nougat with various nuts, dried fruits and citrus flavourings added. However this Sicilian Torrone version is distinctly different, as it is hard and brittle and does not require nougat.
An Italian friend once told me that one day I would make a good Nonna (grandmother), after I had made this for her.
What you need: 
600 grams raw almond
600 grams sugar
four tablespoons honey
zest of one orange
How to make:
1: Melt the honey, sugar and orange zest over a low heat until sugar is melted. Add the nuts and quickly stir through until the nuts are completely covered.
2: Pour out on two greased baking trays making sure the mixture is compacted.
3: Place in a pre-heated 180 degree oven for 10 minutes.
4: Using a sharp knife cut the torrone into triangles while it is still hot
5: Store in air tight glass jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment