“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Tiramisu (coffee sponge cake)


There is much debate about the origins of this desert.  The argument lies between Venice and Siena. Regardless of it's origins this desert is a winner.  I can not even count the number of times I have made this desert.  Tiramisu literally translates to "pick me up", and this is truly a feel good treat.  I have had the pleasure of watching many faces fill with contentment after the first mouthful.  Most household's in Italy make tiramisu using eggs however I received this recipe many years ago from an Italian lady in Venice which does not require eggs- I have not had any complaints to date.  To this day I can still remember how the perfect mix of cream, coffee and chocolate tasted, and I just had to get the recipe.  It is such a simple desert to make, however the key is to buy good quality ingredients.  It is also also the perfect desert to make in advance as it needs to left overnight for the flavours to infuse.  I have been asked for this recipe so many times but have never been able to quantify the ingredients, so I am glad I can finally share with you something that I have made for my loved ones on many occasions.
What you need:
300g Savoiardi biscuits
500g marscopone 
1 cup of cream
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup marsala wine (to your liking)
100g dark chocolate (I use 70% cacao Lindt chocolate)
750ml strong coffee (I use Lavazza qualita Rossa)
How to make:
1:   Make the coffee using an Italian coffee pot (see picture above). I normally make 2 large coffee pots.  Pour the coffee into a large bowl to cool.
2:  Finely chop or use a blender to turn chocolate into a fine powder
3:  Mix the marscopone, cream, icing sugar together using a wooden spoon.  Quickly stir in the marsala to form a smooth consistency.  Taste the mixture and make adjustments to your liking (you can add more sugar, marsala).  Place in the fridge until ready to use.
4:  Individually dip the savoiardi biscuits in the coffee and place in a lasagne shaped dish (Each brand of biscuit is slightly different, but generally you only need to soak each biscuit in the coffee for 2-3 seconds).  Make sure the biscuit does not become too soggy.  Cover the bottom of the dish with the biscuits.
5:  Once the bottom of the dish is totally covered with biscuits top with half of the cream mixture.  Then add half of the finely chopped chocolate
6:  Add another layer of biscuits dipped in coffee, followed by the rest of the cream, then top with chocolate
7:  Place in the fridge overnight.  

Buon Apetito!




No comments:

Post a Comment