“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Friday, October 14, 2011

Marmellata di fichi- Fig jam

Figs have been eaten for centuries and I feel exotic and decedent when I eat this ancient fruit. The colours, the texture and the scent of figs is truly spectacular. Figs are in full season in Italy in August/September and can be seen in abundance.  Figs are simply divine when eaten on their own. Some of my favourite memories are going for weekend walks through the Tuscan hills found in my backyard, and picking the ripe fruit from laden trees. The Apuane Alps are a food lovers paradise, and many Tuscans will venture to the mountains to take advantage and appreciate what nature has to offer.  Figs really need to be consumed not long after picking, so making fig jam is a great way to enjoy figs all year round. I typically reserve my fig marmellata to make fig jam crostata (tart) throughout the winter months. Or place a dollop served with a cheese platter.
What you need:
One kilo of figs
400grams of sugar
Zest and juice of one large lemon
1/2 cup of water 
 
How to make:
1: Cut the skin off the figs, and then slice into 4 large pieces. Or for a more rustic jam, you can keep the skin on but make sure you wash well.
2: Simply add all of the ingredients together in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.  
3: Once it comes to the boil bring it down to a simmer.  Simmer for about 30-45 minuets, constantly stirring and making sure that the jam does not stick to the saucepan. The longer you simmer, the thicker it will become. The consistency is up to personal preference. 
4:It is ready when you place a small amount of jam on a plate, put in the fridge for five minuets and sets. Once it is ready immediately place in hot sterilised jars.  This recipe will make about 6-8 small jars of yummy jam. 

Buon apetito!
#fichi #figs #marmellata #jam #conserva 

No comments:

Post a Comment